The purpose of the Central Ohio Weavers Guild is to stimulate interest in weaving and fiber arts by interaction with each other; to educate members through lectures, workshops, and interest groups; and to encourage public interest in and appreciation of the fiber arts.
COWG traces its beginnings back to 1933 when women from all over Ohio met while exhibiting at the Ohio State Fair. Exhibits were held at Hayes Hall and the Southern Hotel in 1936. In 1937, these women organized as Associated Ohio Weavers, and in 1938 the name was changed to the Weavers’ Guild. Membership encompassed the entire state but was dominated by the Columbus area. Guild work was exhibited at the Columbus Art Museum, the forerunner of the Columbus Museum of Art. Over the years, the guild has brought great fiber artists to Columbus, including Peter Collingwood, Marguerite Davidson, Catharine Ellis, Laura Fry, Judith MacKenzie, and more recently, Kelly Marshall, Deb Robson, and Robin Russo.
THE GUILD TODAY
With our 80th anniversary only one year away, COWG continues to be a vital source of education and energy for central Ohio fiber enthusiasts. Although we are named a weavers guild, we engage and welcome all fiber arts. From September through May of each year, COWG holds monthly meetings with free program talks for members on a variety of fiber crafts. Members have the opportunity to participate in educational workshops during most of the guild year. Several times a year, in an effort to promote the fiber arts, guild members share their knowledge with the public through demonstrations and retreats. Check out these many opportunities throughout the website and join us as we embrace all things fiber!